Sunday, February 12, 2012

Winter Comes (Briefly) to Oklahoma

I bought the jacket from Eddie Bauer back in 1997 while living in Russia.  Mail order is a wonderful thing.  It's a man's large - not sure what my thinking was on that.  I'm 5'4" and weigh, well, not nearly a man's size large, let's put it that way.  It is the warmest jacket on earth - based on my vast research on cold-weather jackets employed around the globe.

The insulated overalls, which I love deeply, came from a local store called Sharpe's and are a boy's size large.  Apparently women don't merit their own cozy insulated overalls.  They'd probably come in pink anyway, so maybe it's for the best.  Mud and cow manure don't look so good on pink.  Then there's what I call a "neck gator," which can be used like a hat, scarf, or as above, for going around incognito.  Sometimes you just want to take a walk without being mobbed by crazed fans (cows).  Underneath it all are long johns, sweat pants, a long-sleeved t-shirt and two fleeces.  It's a wonder that I can move at all.  I could be down a long time if I fell.

This is how I've met the morning for the past couple of days as a very cold system moves through the state.  The forecast is for more cold and - maybe our yearly ice storm - late tonight and into Monday.  So I'll be gearing up again at least for another day.  If you don't hear from me in a while, assume the worst, and send someone over to pick me up off of the ground.

8 comments:

  1. This is cute!
    I live in SE Oklahoma and had been hoping that somehow we'd slide through without this cold snap since I don't even have a decent coat, having moved here from San Francisco just a year ago. I envy your Eddie Bauer. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy! Time to invest in a warm coat, though quite often our temperatures in the winter are fairly mild. I too was hoping we'd squeak by this year...not to be! Maybe it'll be quick, however! Welcome to OK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol, well at least you are prepared! With all those layers on, I am sure you needed a large sized jacket! Keep warm :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you had some winter in which to use these toasty treasures! The good thing about falling down in front of your (cow) fans is that they're vegetarian and probably wouldn't eat you even if you died on the ground, as opposed to cats who will begin to eat you while you're still in extremis. They'll lay on you while you're warm, and when they detect you're no longer useful in that way, dinner is served.

    Living in NY, I tried and tried to find suitable alternatives to down. Of course, I kept using the down I already had, but new purchases were "alternatives.'' I even investigated a company who collected no-kill down, but holy crap, buying it would have killed me. Full disclosure: I am no longer vegan, although I greatly admire the lifestyle.

    Roxanne
    The Good Luck Duck

    ReplyDelete
  5. Roxanne...I just want to hug you :-)! Thank you so much for always making me laugh. Wow...yeah, down substitutes - never heard of the "no-kill" variety. Notice they didn't call it the "no-pain" down. It's gotta hurt, right?? This probably isn't very vegan of me, but since my down coat is so old I feel like it squeaks in under the statute of limitations or something. I was still a carnivore back in '97.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yeah, that puppy is definitely grandfathered in.

    Hug accepted!

    Roxanne
    The Good Luck Duck

    ReplyDelete
  7. you're like me annie, a little cold won't get in our way!

    way to get out and about, winter style :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...