Thursday, December 29, 2011

Today's Dough: Maple Walnut Wheat with Dried Cherries

I learned something the other day.  Cinnamon is a major yeast-inhibitor.  Not the most earth-shattering of revelations, but it kinda knocked me for a small loop.  Turns out if you put more than a 1/2 teaspoon or so in your dough, you're slowing down the little yeasty critters and reducing the rise.  Best to go light on mixing in the cinnamon or add it via a swirl a la cinnamon rolls.

I had this fact in mind when I put together this whole wheat bread.  I kept to the recommended amount, and let the dough rise slowly for a long period of time.  I got a beautiful first and second rise and the smell emanating from the oven during baking...let's just say, you'll need never go back to Cinnabon.

A soft, imminently toastable bread stuffed with plump tart cherries and crunchy toasted walnuts - this is a simple recipe with a dough that's very easy with which to work.  For the recipe, please visit An Unrefined Vegan.

4 comments:

  1. I didn't knew cinnamon kept yeast from working either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks so good, I can almost smell it. lol
    Debbi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not know this about cinnamon either! The bread looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice idea, thanks for sharing

    our websites are
    徵信社 and 櫻桃

    very welcome to see us...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...