Tuesday, December 13, 2011

PB & J

Peanut butter was a big part of my childhood.  A few times a week I would find a peanut butter and jelly (usually grape or raspberry) sandwich in the small brown paper bag I carried each day to school.  More often than not, sadly, the sandwich bore the heavy and round concavity of the orange that was also in the bag - no doubt because I'd stuffed my lunch into my locker without a thought.  Being a child who liked things "just so," I would nibble around the edges of the smooshed, bruised-looking circle and then go digging into the bag for the cookies.

Then I'd get home from school with the hunger of a tiger cub and out would come the jar of peanut butter and the loaf of bread.

One would think after 40-odd years or so I would've grown tired of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, but that's not the case.  Vegans have a tough go of it in Oklahoma, so if I know I'll be on the road around mealtime, a PB & J comes along for the ride.  Sometimes I just get a powerful craving for one.  My sandwich has evolved slightly since the 6th grade, however.  Instead of Jif or Skippy, I use natural, unsweetened peanut butter; I prefer tart cherry jam to the overly sweet grape variety and my bread is no longer white, but whole grain, providing a structurally more sound bread than the flimsy white stuff.  Perhaps even sturdy enough to support the weight of an orange inside a small, brown paper bag.

The sandwich pictured above was lovingly constructed with a flavorful and soft cracked wheat bread.  You will find the recipe for it on my sister site, An Unrefined Vegan.  Pair it scrumptiously with PB & J, spread hummus on it, dip into soups or eat straight up.

6 comments:

  1. Love the PBJ. Nature's most perfect food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being from the UK, neither of my two daughters nor I were real fans of that mixture while we lived in Canada, I fear. The girls had a baby sitter whose total menu consisted of that mixture and after a week of having it every day after getting home from school (before I got back to feed them "properly"!) it rarely, if ever, appeared on our table.

    Mind you, reading about your suggestion did make my mouth water just a tad - but am not sure if the girls would agree!

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's a classic. you can't go wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love PB & J. Don't think anyone can ever grow tire of it no matter how old they are.

    it's just something you love for life =)

    following you from blogging buddies
    http://myminibag.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely understand! PB & J is a delicious and quick, healthy snack. I love Teddy natural PB without salt or sugar! I am a vegetarian myself so I know the importance of bringing your own food (and eating before going to a cookout)! Thank you for the compliment on my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...