Thursday, November 17, 2011

Today's Dough: Pain de Campagne

Country bread.  Crisp crust, airy bubbles amidst the soft, almost-sourdough-flavored interior.  Typically made with a portion of whole grain flour; my type of bread.  Unfortunately, I couldn't buy bread like this in my town even if my life depended on it - so that means making my own. 

This recipe comes from master baker, Peter Reinhart and takes some prior planning as it involves a pre-ferment and an overnight rest in the refrigerator.  No big deal.  The nice thing is, once you mix up the pre-ferment, you can leave it in the refrigerator for a few days until you have time to mess with it - and the flavor only gets better.  I made a couple of baguettes and few large rolls with one batch, so a little work goes a long way - and the finished product freezes beautifully.  Maybe not so unfortunate after all. 

Pre-ferment, resting.

3 comments:

  1. Hey there! Thanks for visiting and linking up with me on the perfect line. Returning the favor and following you via GFC :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This bread looks so enticing! I can almost smell the aroma!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did I miss this post? That looks so so good!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...