Saturday, November 19, 2011

Some Thoughts About Dirt

The other night the sky was clear and star-strewn, the moon waning but still nearly full and low and bright just above the dark line of trees.  A streak of moonlight shifted and glittered along the surface of the pond and long, cool-colored shadows lay down past tree and fence and barn.  A strong breeze blew from the south, balmy as a late spring day and with the same sense of expectancy and possibility.  With it came the moist and cool smells of earth.  The odor of the earth respiring.  The same dirt furrowed by gophers, churned by cows' hooves and dug and turned with shovels by us humans to house and nourish our kale and turnips, tomatoes and sunflowers and bee balm.

We filled our lungs with the rich smell, displacing, we imagined, whatever bad and sour and unhealthy may formerly have been residing there.  The incongruous smell of spring on the cusp of winter.



6 comments:

  1. Annie,

    I just put your button on my blog. I don't know if it is your code or blogger is just off again, but the blog name shows up in an empty box. If I click on it, it takes me to the correct location, but the actual button does not show up. If it is blogger, hopefully it will correct itself shortly.

    I am just telling you this for your information. Thanks again for your help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the smell of dirt, I know that may sound horrible. And, I have this face soap, its made with some kind of clay. The smell reminds me of dirt. Its a great smell for the morning.
    Other then that, I have a small plot of dirt, that every other scoop will bring you one or two very nice earth worms, love that section of space :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the smell of moist earth too! Poetic writing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hmmmm, I got a whif of that smell this morning. Mix mine in with a little manure (cow only, not liquid) and I'm in heaven, lol
    debbi
    - ourhometoyours

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find it a very comforting smell - reminds me of childhood mud-pie making, warm autumn days with sun warming the leaf mould etc. A very evocative post, in other words!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...