Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Breakfast

When I was a kid it was a “good” morning if I could stomach a bowl of Frosted Flakes.  As a teen the day began with an icy cold Classic Coke and a slice of pizza.  My food tastes have matured since then and I look forward to a substantial breakfast.  Some mornings, it’s the biggest meal of my day.  Most days, Kel and I eat a large bowl of fresh fruit, sip green tea and enjoy some form of oatmeal – whether it’s Scottish oats cooked overnight in the crock-pot, Bob’s Red Mill 8-Grain Cereal on the stove or muesli that’s gotten the spa treatment by soaking in almond milk for a few hours.  I never get tired of oatmeal.  (By the way, when I say oatmeal, what I mean is a mixture of rolled oats, barley flakes, wheat flakes, rye flakes and triticale flakes.  Got the whole bread basket in there and boy howdy this stuff fuels you until lunchtime.)

This morning we tried something new from a cookbook (Fat-Free and Easy: Great Meals in Minutes: No Added Fat, No Cholesterol, No Animal Ingredients, by Jennifer Raymond) that I downloaded yesterday onto my Kindle.  The recipe calls for cooking the oat/dried fruit/non-dairy mixture on the stove, but I put it all together and popped it into the ‘frige where it did its magical thing while we slept.  The results are a super-creamy, slightly sweet cereal that you can warm up in the microwave if you wish or eat cold.  We topped ours with sliced banana and toasted walnuts.

This one goes out to my mom who, in my humble opinion, needs to eat a better breakfast than a slice of toast with butter – but who cannot fathom eating oatmeal day in and day out for years.  Love you, mom – now eat your oats!

Overnight (or stovetop) Oatmeal
Serves 4

10 dried apricots, roughly chopped
5-6 dried figs, roughly chopped
1/3 cup dried tart cherries (or cranberries or raisins)
1 apple, cored and roughly chopped (leave on the skin!)
¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
1 cup rolled oats
3 cups non-dairy milk (I used a combo of soy and almond milks)

Place the dried apricots, dried figs, tart cherries and apple in a food processor and whirl until finely chopped – some big chunks are fine.  Place chopped fruit into a medium-sized bowl and add the cinnamon, oats and non-dairy milk.  Stir to combine.  Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator overnight (or cook for about 5 minutes on the stove).  Top with bananas and nuts.

“Breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dine like a pauper.”

4 comments:

  1. Ummm..that does sound good. Will try it out sometime, perhaps when daughter comes to stay for a day or two. Husband wouldn't stomach it, but it's certainly one I'd be prepared to ingest!! Thanks for the recipe.

    Oh, and thanks for your recent comments on www.ColdhamCuddlescalling.blogspot.com! Really morale boosting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not an oatmeal eater myself, (I don't like the texture, haha) but my hubby would love this!
    Debbi
    -ourhometoyours

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I have always made my kids eat big breakfasts, because school lunches are late in the day. I might need to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the post. this is my fiance's favorite meal. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...