Friday, August 19, 2011

One Side of a Conversation


Have you got yer turnips in yet and yer mustard greens?  Time to get those in.  I love me some turnips.  And them mustard greens.  Get those in for the fall.  Now how do you cook ‘em?  Uh huh.  Uh huh.  Yeah?  Why I just boil ‘em up real good, get some butter on there, lotsa salt and pepper.  Eat a whole plate of those.  Do you put yours up?  You can put ‘em up, yep.  Just boil ‘em real good and put ‘em in the freezer – like yer spinach.  Same thing.  Have ‘em all year.  But you better get those in the ground.

No, ain’t nobody got good tomatoes this year.  No, sir.  Not even Bill Yates out there on 48.  Plants tall as you.  But they was just burnin’ up.  Couldn't water 'em enough.  Gave up and dug 'em in.  And the watermelons.  Damnedest thing.  He had a whole field of ‘em.    In two days them hogs ate ever’ single one of them melons.  All that was left was rind.  Cleaned right out.  Saw it with my own eyes.  Nothing like the pork barbeque, though.  Too bad y’all are veg’tarian cuz my boy he does the barbeque.  Put him up against anyone on that.   

Well, I don’t have much of a sweet tooth.  No.  Not really.  But yer pies and yer cookies  – can’t beat a good fruit pie, no sir.  Not the cakes.  I can do without the frosting.  People put too much frosting on the cakes and it gets so you can’t taste the cake!  But a good fruit pie.  Hard to beat that.  What’s that?  Uh huh.  Well, yep, that’s good, sure, but me I like the rhubarb.  You got rhubarb in the garden?  You should get you some rhubarb.  Puts up good, too.  Hey, are those apples of yours ready yet?  Let me know when them apples are ready.

I love me some beans.  T’other night I had a mess of white beans, now, normally I don’t really like the white beans but these were darn good.  Now you give me some of them red beans – wooo – I could eat my way out of a wash tub of them red beans!  Did you plant beans this year?
 
Alrighty now.  Uh huh.  Get yer turnips and yer mustard greens in – you can eat the turnip greens, too.  Better get them in.

1 comment:

  1. So - who's the wise guru with all that local wisdom? You listen real well to that advice - or you'll regret it to the day you die!

    When I had a garden (about 3 years ago), I always listened to local tips (not always taken, mind you. And suffered, sometimes as a result!

    Happy planting - hope the ground is a little less like concrete now.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...