Monday, July 4, 2011

Recipe: Mediterranean Barley Salad


Not sure where I found this recipe – maybe Cooking Light – but anyway I’ve messed with it sufficiently that I’m going to call it mine.  This is a perfect meal for when the thermometer tells you it’s 105 degrees outside.

Mediterranean Barley Salad
Serves 4 

1 cup uncooked pearl barley
1 cup packed arugula (or spinach)
1 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
¼ cup chopped kalamata olives
5 scallions, chopped
3 tbsp. finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes (not oil-packed)
1 15.5 oz. can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
3 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
pinch of red pepper flakes
2 tbsp. chopped pistachios

Cook barley according to package directions, omitting salt.  (My method is: 1 cup barley + 3.5 cups water; bring to a boil, then turn down heat to a simmer.  Cook for 40 minutes or so until the barley is tender.  Drain.) 

Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the lemon juice, olive oil, salt & pepper and red pepper flakes.  Whisk together.

When barley is cooked and drained, add it while still warm to the dressing.  Toss to coat.  Add the arugula, bell pepper, olives, scallions and garbanzo beans and mix together.  Divide salad among three plates and top with the chopped pistachios.  This tastes best when served at room temperature.

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I am definitely going to try this. I bought some barley a while back and just don't know what to do with it. I have most of the ingredients on hand at my house at any given time so this will be a cinch! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious! Thanks so much for sharing. Too bad I already had dinner, otherwise I would have had this (or maybe as a side)
    Thanks for the comment on my blog, too.
    ~laura
    http://shinythingsandpie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...