Monday, July 18, 2011

Bring on the Tomatoes


Ashley at the lovely blog  The Inspired Lens wrote up a nice post about tomatoes (and other veggies) starting to ripen on the patio of her apartment.  I’m impressed with the number of things she’s able to grow in a small space.  Perhaps we should’ve downsized ourselves this year...

Our tomatoes, too, are starting to come on strong, though the continued heat will probably spell the end of harvesting, as least for a while.  When it gets too hot, the blossoms don’t set and you don’t get any fruit.  Like Ashley, I’m now having to think of creative ways in which to utilize the bounty.  Each day I use 2 or 3 and each evening Kel replaces those with 4 or 5 new tomatoes.  This morning he came in with a bucketful.  I know I'll miss our truly vine-ripened variety once we have to go back to the tasteless supermarket tomatoes, but the current "feast" of fruit is a challenge.  The other night’s tomato creation was a roasted tomato sauce with white beans, plenty of garlic and onions and topped with fresh basil from the garden.  Really simple.  I’ll post the recipe under the Recipe tab.


3 comments:

  1. That looks wonderful. It is certainly the season for fresh fruits and vegetables. We have been having so much fun finding great fresh produce at the farmers market and then coming up with fun new recipes using our locally grown food. :) I'm not quite ambitious enough to attempt to grow them on my own yet though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Annie,
    I was directed here via your introduction on the BESTeam forum! So glad to have you on board, btw! Love your blog and your creations, I look forward to getting to know you better!
    Aloha,
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annie! Thank you so much for mentioning me in your blog! As a newbie to all of this, I am truly touched :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...